Glenn Greenwald presents the basic principles:
1. A source’s motives are irrelevant in deciding whether to publish.
2. Journalists constantly publish material that is stolen or illegally obtained (e.g. NY Times and Donald Trump’s 1995 tax return)
3. The more public power someone has, the less privacy they are entitled to claim.
4. Whether something is “shocking” or “earth-shattering” is an irrelevant standard.
5. All journalists are arbiters of privacy and gatekeepers of information.
Core principles of journalism are ignored by critics of this reporting.
Do read the full article. It may help to understand how or when journalism trends into propaganda instead of journalism.